Invisalign® Clear Orthodontics
Our teeth are completely unique to us. In fact, they are so specific to an individual that it makes it possible for someone to be identified through their dental records alone. This means, however, that our teeth are rarely positioned perfectly against one another.
Orthodontics is a specialist branch of dentistry that is focused on improving the appearance and alignment of teeth that are crooked, twisted, gapped, protruding or overcrowded. It also deals with the correction of bite problems, which is when the teeth fail to come together properly when you close your mouth. Orthodontic issues are extremely common and at least one in every 3 patients is estimated to need a referral to an orthodontist by the time they have their adult teeth.
In the past, patients were fairly limited in their options for orthodontic treatment, with conventional braces being the go-to solution. However, today there is an alternative that is proving to be more popular and convenient. It is known as Invisalign®.
What is Invisalign® and how does it work?
Invisalign® is a type of clear orthodontic treatment. This is made possible because it uses a series of bespoke plastic aligners that are made from transparent plastic. These slot into place over your existing teeth in the same way as a mouth guard worn in sport. They exert gentle pressure onto the teeth to push them towards a new and improved position. Each aligner must be worn for at least 22 hours per day, and only removed for you to brush and floss your teeth and clean your aligner, or to eat. It must remain in place while you sleep and during your normal day to day activities.
The Invisalign® clear orthodontic aligners are created using advanced mapping technology that takes high-resolution photographs of your teeth prior to your treatment and plans exactly how they will need to move to reach an optimal position. It then turns these movements into each stage of the treatment and creates bespoke aligners that will fulfill each movement. Your Invisalign® clear orthodontic aligners must be worn in the exact order provided for the treatment to progress correctly.
One of the most popular aspects of Invisalign® is that the results of the treatment are entirely predictable. The technology used to create the aligners will be able to create a mock-up of how you can expect your teeth to look at the end of your treatment.
Advantages of Invisalign® Clear Orthodontics
Choosing Invisalign® clear orthodontics offers patients some unique benefits over conventional braces. These include:
- Greater discretion. Since Invisalign® aligners are made from transparent plastic, they are almost invisible once in place. This enables patients to feel less awkward about the appearance of their teeth during the course of their treatment and they can smile, talk, laugh, eat and even kiss without feeling self-conscious.
- Greater comfort. Invisalign® aligners are bespoke, made specifically for your teeth ensuring the best possible fit. There are no awkward brackets or wires that could cause you pain or irritation, and many patients forget that they are even wearing their aligner.
- Non-permanent. One of the biggest frustrations that brace-wearers face is dietary restrictions. There are certain foods that they cannot eat because they will cause damage to their brace. However, Invisalign® must be removed while you eat, meaning you can enjoy any foods you like so long as you replace your aligner as soon as you have finished.
- Fewer appointments. Braces require regular adjustments to move on to the next stage in the treatment, and these can only be done by your orthodontist. Invisalign® is much simpler. When it is time to move on to the next stage of treatment you just select the next aligner in the series. Although your progress will be tracked, this usually involves far fewer appointments.
- Healthier teeth and mouth. It can be very difficult to clean your teeth properly when you are wearing your braces. Fortunately, with Invisalign® clear orthodontics you can take your aligner out to clean both it and your teeth as effectively, as usual, helping you to maintain great oral health.
- Success. Provided you follow the instructions provided by our Invisalign® specialists and wear them exactly as directed, your treatment should be a huge success.
If you would like to find out more about Invisalign® clear orthodontics, or if you would like to discuss your candidacy for this popular smile-transforming solution, get in touch with our team at our Omaha, NE dental offices today.